I make drawing and animation. Drawing induces a certain kind of simplicity and quickness. As for a mathematical demonstration, the beauty of a drawing lies in its concision – in the way it embraces the properties of an object in a number of simple operations.
Drawing has a kind of continuity with writing. A lot of religious scriptures insist on the particular value of the letters of the alphabet or specific words, and the value of tracing them. In my work it is a way of giving to these words - titles, lyrics, names, etc - a physical shape, like telling them loud, or singing them.
My work takes mostly its inspiration from American popular culture, especially music. The songs of traditionnal music, rock or hip hop are to me like ideal artistic forms - available to the greatest number of people, open on their time, and never ceasing after to appear and disappear under “the wreckage of the centuries” and to bear, according to the time and place where they are listened to, and the one who listen to them, new meanings. Based on simple forms, they draw most of their strenght from what the interpreter put in them.
Cartoons from the 30s, especially by Georges Herriman, and the Fleischer brothers films, are an important influence to me by their visual audacity, their blend of modernism and weirdness, of a kind of tongue-in-cheek erotism and the darkness of the Great Depression.
In all of my works, references to pieces of music, movies or pictures is something important ; not only a way of aknowledging an inevitable heritage, but also a mean to take place within filiations or lineages, a bit like covers in music.
Artist Bio / CV
b. 1986 in Paris.
I graduated from the Ensad in 2010. I work as an animator and illustrator.
- Temps d’école d’images, European Festival Temps d’Images Arte / La Ferme du buisson, 2010
- Student selection, 9e Fête du cinéma d’animation de l’Afca, Forum des Images, 2010
- Student competition, 8th European Animated Film Festival Balkanima, Beograd, 2011
- Student competition, 18ème édition du Festival national du film d’animation, Bruz, 2011
- 57e Salon de Montrouge. 3 - 31 mai 2012, Théâtre de Montrouge / le Beffroi
- L’Envers et l’endroit, le Centquatre, Paris, mars 2012
- L’École nationale supérieure des Arts Décoratifs : une nouvelle génération. Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication au Palais Royal, Paris. 22 septembre - 12 octobre 2011
- Heute Malen, Morgen Mehr. MOE, Vienne, Autriche. Juin 2011